Friday, September 28, 2018

Manuals for old microscopes

One of the problems frequently vexing old-microscope enthusiasts like me is the lack of documentation, such as operating instructions, service manuals, exploded or circuit diagrams, etc.

Here are some links to pdfs of some hard-to-find old manuals. As new manuals are added, they will be edited into this post.

These manuals are free for use and printing hard-copies by anyone; also, please feel free to copy the files for free distribution from your own website. I strongly believe that these out-of-date manuals should be widely disseminated for free, for all to use.

     ******************************************************************

Here are some links to some of the larger on-line free collections of microscope manuals and catalogs for older microscopes (1930-2000):

Bausch and Lomb:
       https://vademecummicroscope.com/bl-manuals-and-catalogues/

Leitz:
      http://microscope.database.free.fr/Welcome.html

American Optical, Spencer, Reichert:
      http://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Microscope.htm

Polarizing microscopes:
       http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes/index.htm 

Olympus:
      http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/downloads.html#bh

           and Carl Hunsinger's excellent Olympus repair trove:

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ckZ6amci3tcVdXdnFYVDJSRW8/view

Zeiss: 
     http://roslistonastronomy.uk/category/microscopy/equipment-for-microscopy/microscope-manuals

All sorts:
     http://www.science-info.net/docs/


     ******************************************************************

INDIVIDUAL MICROSCOPE MANUALS

Here is an English-language operating manual for the Reichert Univar, a 1970's-80's large, heavy, and sophisticated research microscope of its day. Reportedly, there were only about 300 of these made. I have one of these which I have been restoring to some semblance of its former glory. The manual was available on the internet only in German, so I translated it into English, reproduced it with all of its drawings, and also attached a Univar sales brochure to the end of the manual:

Reichert Univar Microscope Operating Instructions (English), V1.4:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10DxbR9yXI4QQXK38fCUTFSXXXXo7vw6v/view?usp=sharing







-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bausch and Lomb Dynazoom Bench Metallograph Instructions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2112ra92dk949kv/B%26L%20Bench%20Metallograph%20manual?dl=0




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------