One of my hobbies is rejuvenating old microscopes. Most of them are purchases via eBay, and are typically in rough shape and missing vital parts. I like fixing them up and restoring them to functionality. The vintages I concentrate on are from the 1950's to about 2000, at which point the used 'scopes become prohibitively expensive and remain contemporary laboratory resources.
Occasionally, I will sell a fixed-up microscope to a new owner. Some people may want or need a microscope, usually at home, for one reason or another: self-guided nature studies of the microscopic world around us (e.g., pond water), electronics repair, photo/video-micro/macrography, craft activities where magnification is desirable, and the all-important: helping to remove splinters from one's fingers.
I will post now and then on topics concerning microscope repair, collecting, and photomicrography, and will post some hopefully decent images of microscopic life, or other wonders that surround us but are not normally apparent.
For inspiration, information, and comraderie, I recommend the following highly interesting forums and websites: MicrobeHunter.com, microscopy-uk.org.uk, photomacrography.net, and quekett.org, to name some of the most prominent.
No comments:
Post a Comment